Free secretary job description. A secretary is an administrative professional who assists management teams and executives with general administrative duties, project management, office management, team management, and more. The secretary is tasked with managing routine detail work for senior executives, managers, or supervisors.
A secretary is sometimes referred to as an executive secretary, medical secretary, administrative assistant, executive assistant, administrative secretary, and legal secretary. Or executive administrative assistant and administrator depending on the industry and focus of work. And while the job titles and duties can vary. Generally, secretaries responsibilities are commonly administrative in nature.
Secretary Job Description Sample
Our senior management team is seeking an experienced secretary to assist with administrative duties and administrative tasks to ensure team and company efficiency. As a secretary, daily activities may change. From handling word processing to checking on office supplies. And from answering telephone calls to ensuring working office equipment. The ideal candidate is adaptable and can take any level of responsibility.
Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and secretary responsibilities:
- Oversee document filing and organization.
- Work closely with our executive staff.
- Hand out information memos to staff and the team.
- Schedule appointments and handle travel arrangements for executive staff.
- Assist with emails. Repond to emails. And ensure correspondence with business professionals is being upheld.
- Complete requests as necessary. And on time. Maintain customer confidence. And protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Prepare reports by performing research, collecting information, and speaking with professionals inside the business.
- Perform regular information database maintenance tasks. Including the backing up of information. And ensuring that all projects are accessible across teams.
- Own the process of scheduling appointments for all management staff.
- Take notes during a meeting and transfer information to a digital document.
- Answer phone calls and assist customers and clients.
- Oversee customer service issues.
- Take manager requests for administrative assistance and complete each task as assigned.
- Control medical records and ensure proper filing of each patient.
Qualified candidates should have the following:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- A high degree of communication skills, organizational skills, and computer skills.
- Ability to type 130 words per minute preferred.
- Previous work experience in an administrative role preferred.
- Previous work experience handling secretarial duties preferred.
- Computer literacy, like using Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, and more).
- Keen verbal communication skills. Ability to coordinate and schedule meetings. Organize documents. And build company resources.
According to Salary.com, a secretary earns $39,954 per year, on average. With the top percentile earning $49,674 per year, on average. And entry-level workers earning $31,613 per year, on average.
Related Job Descriptions
Download the free secretary job description PDF template. And use the sample secretary job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
All job descriptions