Free business analyst job description. A business analyst solves business problems utilizing quantitative data sets. From analyzing the business’s organizational processes to assessing a business’s mode of making revenue and profits. A business analyst uses software, research, data analysis, and other modeling techniques to process information. This information is helpful in solving or guiding business problems and business solutions.
A business analyst is sometimes referred to as a technical business analyst, data analyst, and senior business analyst. And sometimes referred to as a “BA,” for short.
Business Analyst Job Description Sample
Sample job description for a business analyst or “BA.” Use the following job description to write a job advertisement.
Our business is seeking a business analyst to help perform general business analysis against our enterprise business. The analyst will help to oversee the business process, business administration, and other business needs. We rely on the business analyst to help solve each business problem departments are advancing. Ideally, the analyst has experience with project management, strategic planning, computer programming, and has keen communication skills and analytical skills.
Business Analyst Duties and Responsibilities
Below are sample job duties and responsibilities for a business analyst role.
- Gather business requirements from each stakeholder using the UML modeling methodology.
- Practice great interpersonal skills and interact with project stakeholders regularly.
- Model our internal business system and be ready for testing a business case against it.
- Develop a project team of multiple successful business analyst roles.
- Map the organization process using an activity diagram.
- Work closely with the quality assurance team.
- Use computer science and computer programming (technical skills) to make the business analyst role easier and scalable.
- Be the business analytics stakeholder and information technology stakeholder to teams.
- Work in agile software development teams to assist with business analysis implementation.
- Use networks, databases, and other software technology.
- Improve processes, products, services, and software through data analysis.
- Ability to provide detailed business analysis of our business or external businesses. Analyze business processes, business information systems, and coordinate with business leaders measuring key performance indicators of the organization.
- Understand business units, business goals, and use data modeling techniques to process this information.
Business Analyst Requirements
Qualified business analyst candidates should have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communication, or Computer Programming. Or a related field.
- Previous business analyst training. International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) certification.
- Previous business analyst experience and experience in the business analyst position.
- Previous experience as an IT Business Analyst is strongly preferred.
- Desire to grow with an employer and develop a business analyst career.
- Knowledge of Python, Ruby, C++ preferred.
- Knowledge of modeling systems like UML and more.
- Comfort with agile software development and waterfall software development.
- In-depth understanding of organizational data flow and how to make management decisions with these insights.
- Good management skills and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle internal and external reporting.
Senior Business Analyst Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage business analysis projects and client communication projects. Assist in the ability to influence stakeholders and work closely with them to determine acceptable solutions for market conditions.
- Lead the team to prepare a financial report. Including the “long-range plan,” monthly forecast, analyzing variances and key assumptions. And working with the team to implement control or improvements.
- Analyze project data and other market data sets to evaluate market potential and come up with recommendations for stakeholders.
- Perform a variety of quality control checks to maintain and assure the accuracy and consistency of data in tracking systems.
- Perform database queries (SQL server) and program data analysis as requested.
- Oversee regulatory and reporting requirements.
Be the manager to 1-2 business analysts (“BAs”) as direct reports.
Technical Business Analyst Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect and analyze stakeholder requirements from external partners and internal partners.
- Translate business requirements and project requirements into technical specifications with acceptance criteria, implementation strategy documentation, and “rollout plans.”
- Interact with enterprise and corporate partners to support systems integration milestones or new feature development milestones.
- Collaborate with software engineers to design, execute, and test the team’s solutions or new features.
- Become an expert in one of the primary product areas.
- Leverage technical and business domain knowledge to improve the product’s features and underlying system architecture.
Business Analyst Skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Business systems skills
- Reporting skills
- Financial reporting skills
- Business budgeting skills
- Financial analysis skills
Business Analyst Average Salary
According to Salary.com, the average business analyst with a Master’s Degree earns $77,533 in annual salaries.
Related job descriptions
Download the free business analyst job description PDF template. And use the sample business analyst job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
All job descriptions