Free legal secretary job description. A legal secretary is a type of administrative professional that works within the legal field. The legal secretary works closely with attorneys (or lawyers) to assist with preparing legal documents (like appeals or motions), filing legal motions, scheduling meetings with clients, preparing for court proceedings, and more.
A legal secretary is someone who is familiar with legal documents and legal terminology. They are closely tied to legal correspondence and are hired by a law firm to assist attorneys with clerical and administrative tasks that otherwise distract from building legal work. Legal secretaries are found in legal offices. Legal secretaries are often referred to as Judicial Administrative Assistants, Legal Administrative Secretary, Litigation Assistants, and Legal Assistants.
Legal Secretary Job Description Template & Sample
Sample job description.
Legal Secretary Job Brief
Our law office is seeking a talented legal secretary to play a crucial role in the everyday workings of the law office. Law secretaries require extensive knowledge of legal proceedings and the required documentation. The legal secretary will support lawyers and paralegals in our office. They will provide assistance and communicate with clerical personnel, courtroom staff, clients, witnesses, case witnesses, commercial vendors, and more.
The ideal candidate is someone who is sharp, personable, self-disciplined, and is ready to take on an array of assignments that assist with meeting tight deadlines and be the utmost of prepared for proceedings.
Legal Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
Sample job duties and responsibilities include:
- Welcome guests and clients to the law office. Assist them with their destination and desired attorney they are meeting with.
- Answer phone calls and route the phone calls to the appropriate personnel in the office.
- Assist each attorney with their briefings. Prepare draft letters, general legal documents, and connect with clients regarding those documents.
- Make travel arrangements for attorneys who are attending court out of the area.
- Maintain office supplies, office equipment, and work closely with office vendors.
- Assist with the attorney’s legal calendar. Plan meetings, conferences, phone calls, dispositions, and other requirements of any upcoming legal work.
- Utilize and develop retrieval systems for paperwork. Record meeting discussions and document transcripts according to client, date, and other legal requirements.
- Pull reporting, telecommunications, and other legal letters that are useful to building a case or preparing for court proceedings.
Legal Secretary Requirements
Strong candidates should have the following requirements:
- High School diploma or GED is preferred.
- Previous experience as a paralegal is a strong plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or Criminal Justice is a strong plus.
- Exceptional communication skills, organizational skills, and familiarity with a legal office and the office’s administrative support requirements.
- Working knowledge of legal procedures and legal terminology.
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to communicate with clients.
- Ability to practice time management skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (MS Office) is a strong plus.
Related job descriptions
Download the free legal secretary job description PDF template. And use the sample legal secretary job description provided to make an efficient job posting for your company. For more information please visit the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
All job descriptions