As we move into 2023, we each have the opportunity to make choices! We can go with the flow and allow things to happen, or we can look at what we control and choose what to work toward. What do you want to do? For those interested in choosing what to work towards, here are 9 steps:
- Reflection – reflect on how you got where you are and what you learned along the way. Consider what you want to do differently. Recognize your wins. Reflect on what you want next.
- Exploration – explore options, other possibilities, challenges, resources, priorities, and values.
- Define the Dream – be specific and measurable with your goals. Define exactly what you want it to be when you achieve it. Make it a full, rich description that includes what you will see, hear, and feel.
- Strategies – consider how to approach it. Identify your supporters or stakeholders and ask for input. Think about their attitude and perceptions. Include your own attitude and commitment as a strategy.
- Action Plan – list the specific steps you will take to move forward. Be clear on what you will do, how you will do it, and when you will do it. Define your actions over time.
- Implementation – take the steps. It will help to plan how you will hold yourself accountable in advance.
- Adjusting – review what is working and where you want to adjust.
- Follow-through – stay with it until you achieve what you want.
- Celebrating – track your progress and celebrate it. Decide in advance how you want to celebrate your success.
Perhaps you have heard the expression: “those who fail to plan, plan to fail.” Creating your success is a choice – design your plan!